Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 9, 2012

A PORTION OF: TO MY CHILD, REVISED


 I read this from somewhere..and it was so very depressing to me, so I decided to revise just a portion of it. My revision is in parenthesis:


I gave you life but I cannot live it for you. 
(We are going to do our best as examples so that you will have a good life.)

I can teach you things but I cannot make you learn
(We are going to make learning fun and worthwhile...so that you will excel.)

I can give you directions but I cannot always be there to lead you.
(We are going to teach you God's directions for youth, so that your values in spiritual matters can lead you right.) 

I can allow you freedom but I cannot account for it.
(When you are grown, you will be responsible for your wrongs...but if I don't train you in the way you should go, with freedom in Christ, It will be my fault for not doing my job, and I will give account for that part of it.) Prov 22:6 and Ephesians 6:4

I can teach you right from wrong but I can't always decide for you.
(We are going to teach you God's way and teach you to make your decisions with God as your Director). 

I can give you love but I cannot force it upon you.
 (I'm going to love you so dearly that you will always treasure it.)

I can teach you to share but I cannot make you unselfish.
(I will 'TRAIN' you to share and God's Word will make you unselfish.)

I can let you babysit but I can't be responsible for your actions. 
(Are you kidding me???) Parents are the ones responsible for their children's actions! )

I can warn you about sins but I cannot make your morals. 
(If we live our lives according to God's will, as your parents, only then if your values and morals echo ours, will you be ok, as we all follow Him.)  ***

Revised by Edna Ingram...I don't know where these originated or who the author  was, but it has been going around for quite a while... but all of these original statements sound like cop-outs to me. 

b

Note: I have no idea where this originated, but the original sounds like a cop-out to me!

 I would hate for people to use our family and how our children turned out...to malign God's Word!   Proverbs 22:6 means just what it says even if our children turn out bad. God's Word does not rely on us to prove how valid (or invalid) the Scripture is. If I didn't believe that Proverbs 22:6 meant just what it says, then how could I believe Acts 2:38 and Mark 16:16?



No comments:

Post a Comment